Sunday 23 July 2023

A Scorching and Somewhat Smokey Marathon Training Run Along Calgary's River Pathway

By: Justin Ferguson 

There are days in every runner's training journey that test both their physical endurance and mental strength. Today I had one such day during an 18km hot and slightly smokey run along Calgary's river pathway. As an avid marathon trainee, I've come to learn that sometimes, it's not about chasing records or pushing for personal bests; it's simply about getting the distance done.

Calgary, Alberta, offers a terrific river pathway that winds through beautiful landscapes, perfect for a long-distance run. However, today, the sun bore down relentlessly, and a faint haze from distant wildfires hung in the air. With each step, I could feel the intensity of the heat and the slight discomfort of the smoke in my lungs.

During marathon training, it's crucial to remain focused on the bigger picture. On days like this, when the going gets tough, the primary goal becomes conquering the distance. Rather than fretting over pace or time, I reminded myself that completing the 18km was the ultimate objective. Sometimes, a little mental adjustment is all it takes to turn a challenging run into a good experience.

Long runs also teach us the importance of pacing. With many miles ahead, it's essential to take a slower pace, ensuring that we don't burn out too quickly. By maintaining a steady rhythm, we not only conserve energy but also reduce the risk of injury. On my hot and smokey run, I embraced a deliberate and measured stride.

The sights along Calgary's river pathway provided a welcome distraction from the challenging conditions. Lush greenery, and the sparkling water painted a picturesque backdrop for my journey.

Marathon training is not just about smashing personal records; it's about perseverance, determination, and learning to embrace the journey. My 18km hot and smokey run along Calgary's river pathway reminded me of the value of pushing through challenging conditions, focusing on completing the distance, and taking a slower pace on long runs. Ultimately, each step brings me closer to my goal, and I am grateful for every opportunity to train in such a stunning environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment